March 13, 2020
Collective Bargaining Unit Genesis Alkali – Prescription Drug
Given the recent developments and extensive news coverage about COVID-19, OptumRx understands the heightened concerns of their members. OptumRx is actively engaged in and closely monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic. Their top priorities are the health and well-being of our members and patients, and the safety of all clinicians who deliver care.
To meet the clinical needs of members and comply with applicable CDC guidance, as well as Federal, State and Local government requirements, OptumRx Clinical Affairs is allowing members to refill their maintenance medications early to ensure they have an uninterrupted supply of medication during the COVID-19 threat.
OptumRx’s policy includes the following:
- OptumRx members with active eligibility may obtain an early refill of their prescription medications if they have refills remaining on file at a participating retail or mail-order pharmacy.
- The refill obtained will stay consistent with the standard days supply previously filled by the member as allowed by their plan (e.g., 30 or 90 day supply).
- This refill too soon waiver will be continuously evaluated to determine the appropriate duration based on CDC guidance, Federal and State declarations, and other relevant data.
- This policy is in effect for all regions and states covered by OptumRx.
OptumRx does not anticipate delays in dispensing prescriptions from Optum-owned pharmacies (Optum Home Delivery, Optum Specialty, Optum Infusion Services, Avella, Genoa, and Diplomat) related to COVID-19. They are monitoring the supply chain and actively working to maintain a reliable inventory. OptumRx uses anticipatory analysis to determine if, and when, we need to expand operations to include advance dispensing, workforce management, medication access, and more involved in ensuring we secure the medications needed for our patients and deliver those medications to members. At the same time, we are evaluating drug supplies going out to our pharmacies and ensuring our best practices and disaster recovery plans are implemented to meet the operational requirements of the organization.
For More Information on COVID-19, OptumRx is providing the following resources and tools to help you stay informed:
- Visit the CDC website to learn more about the disease, FAQs and the latest CDC guidance and protocols.
- Members can also visit WHO website to learn more about how the World Health is addressing COVID-19.
- If individuals have additional health related questions, we recommend they contact their primary care physician or clinic.
- Members who plan to travel should visit the S. State Department website or the CDC website for additional travel related information.